Monday, July 27, 2009

Moving On














After Brian joined us back in Norfolk permanently at the end of June, it has taken a month to set in that we are indeed back in the USA and moving on to our next "tour of duty." For the most part, I've tried to only look ahead and haven't let myself feel too sad. I've been too excited about visiting family and friends, eating plums and (American) sweet potatoes, and the freedom that comes with all-American shopping options! But to be completely honest, it's been a bittersweet move for many reasons:

  • It's hard leaving a foreign country that in three short years we experienced fully and grew to love--as our first home as a family of four; but we are happy to be returning to a somewhat familiar place near another ocean, with a lot of exploring yet to do.


  • We will be sacrificing family time with Brian as he will be at sea often (not to mention his own sacrificies of a more stressful job with much responsibility and a long deployment); but we will be closer to extended family.


  • We were sad to say good-bye to many of our friends in Japan; but it has been fun saying hello to many friends we have been out of touch with.

  • We were surpised that the moving process in the Navy is definately getting easier the second time around (I probably should've waited till we receive our HHG before I said that); yet we know not all the kinks have been worked out and we'll be doing this all over again every two to three years...

But by now, you know me--always up for a new adventure (after airing a few complaints, that is!) Thank you for joining us in our Japanese journey! I hope you'll keep in touch and follow my next blog, which I hope will be filled with words worthy of some of your valuable free time (although I doubt any other content will lend itself as well to a blog as Japanese culture did!)

The new blog address: http://www.norwoodsinnorfolk.blogspot.com/, of course.

No comments: