Friday, August 10, 2007

31st Annual Friendship Day

A few times a year, the base is opened for the day to the Japanese public. Last weekend was one such time. The occasion? Friendship Day, or a day fostering good relations between Japanese and American people. Sydney, along with Brian's help, designated herself a little ambassador as she led a pack on base.

No matter what the occasion for the open base, the turnout is the same. Thousands of Japanese nationals (over 33,000 on this day) line the streets of the Navy base, mostly in pursuit of American foods and items, it seems. One such item is a turkey leg. I myself have never had a turkey leg, but perhaps that is un-American of me.

But I do, however, enjoy pizza, another favorite of many Japanese people. In the time we've spent here in Japan, the pizza restaurants have had to resort to a two-pizza maximum, since I suppose people were getting carried away with the carry-away pizzas. Yes, American pizza is tasty, but this overzealousness may have had more to do with the fact that a similar pizza off base in Japan costs more than $30.

Then there's McDonald's. There are plenty of McDonald's off base in Japan, but there is still a big draw to the one on base during festivals. This line of people wraps around the building where there is normally a drive-thru window. My theory is that the McFlurry drew the crowds here in the heat and humidity, although maybe the pregnant lady's just partial to ice cream.


The day concluded with a 45-minute fireworks display. They were launched from a barge in the Tokyo bay, so we went home and viewed them from the sea wall a few blocks from our house. They were slightly muffled at this distance, but otherwise the experience was just as satisfying and just as friendly, as all our Japanese neighbors were shoulder-to-shoulder with us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you have been on this little piece of granite that we like to call a planet for over 30 years and have never had a turkey leg? Not one Thanksgiving have you grabbed a leg and sank your teeth in? How could you not?

Or are you talking about those nice big smoked turkey legs they seem to have at theme parks now? Because, well, they are the same as those on good ole Turkey Day except, well, in smoked form.

Delicious.

Completely American you commie-pinko son of a motherless goat. God bless America. Viva la turkey leg!

Anonymous said...

I apologise for the overuse of the word "well" in my previous post.

I'll have to hire an editor.

Anonymous said...

And please, anyone reading this, take my sone of a motherless goat comment as it was intended...sheer whimsical absurdity.

Anonymous said...

Alright, yes, I think I have covered my Pepe quite nicely.

Except, of course, for the commie-pinko comment...but if you really have never had a turkey leg....

Nah, just kidding.

Diane said...

We can always tell when Dave has a few days off in his work rotation...

Yes, it is the smoked turkey legs at theme parks that I have never sank my teeth into. (Nor has Brian.) I do, however, partake in most any and all food-related Thanksgiving festivities.

And, WELL, it's daughter, not son. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Ah, but I was using the goat comment in reference to Brian. I could take it by the daugher comment that Diane wrote the blog...yet I am going to interpret the comment to say that Diane thinks Brian is a girl.

Yes, yes, that is the clear was of looking at things.

And so you are right in that I have been off, yet the puppy has made it less than relaxing...he's a handful. I might get more sleep when I go back to work tommorrow.

Brian said...

You callin' me a girl....why don't you come here and tell that to my face...Pepe!!