Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Japanese Construction

Construction crews in Japan are constantly working on some road or another, inevitably on our route to and from base. Maybe we have more settling from earthquakes contributing to this construction, I don't know. But unlike in the States, in Japan during the day there is usually at least one person whose sole job it is to direct traffic, even when universal orange cones seem to lead the obvious way. Well, just in case you miss the orange cones, you can't miss the white gloves flagging you down the proper path. Often, when the sidewalk is closed, there is even a make-shift pedestrian walkway made of orange cones in the road where the white-gloved worker directs you with a slight bow and/or a simple, "Dozo," or "Go ahead."

I often wonder, are these gloves simply a flash of white to get your attention? Or perhaps, like Sydney, these workers don't like to get their hands dirty? (But then why white?) Or maybe the gloves are to prevent sunburn? Any other possibilities? Dave? Do let us know...

Anyway, in Yokosuka, the workers don't work all night long on a road project. However, when they go home, you are not on your own to figure out your way through the construction maze. We are fortunate to have a little automated bright blue man (wearing a similar shade of the real uniform) waving a lighted "hand" back and forth to direct us where to go. That's Japanese technology at its best once again!


And along with technology, the Japanese are indeed known for their manners. So, does it surprise you that there is even a sign indicating a polite bow? I can only imagine it is thanking me for my patience and understanding during this time of construction. (I say, "do-ee-tahsh-ee-mahsh-tay." As much as this pronunciation sounds like "don't touch my mustache," it really means "you're welcome.") It's even amazing how efficient the Japanese are at saying all that in two kanji characters. Well, they do say a picture's worth a thousand words...never more so than when you can't read the words. I guess that's our American ignorance at it's best!

4 comments:

Ezra said...

I think the next trivia prize should be one of those blue guys. Am I wrong or did Brian have a few road signs in his dorm room? Maybe that was someone else. Anyway, that guy would look great in my driveway. Not sure how the home owners association would feel about it. But I don't remember any specific exclusion of little blue Japanese traffic directors.

Diane said...

That's a great idea...instead of taking a photo in the dark from his bike on the way home, Brian could just snag that guy and put him on the back of his bike. But he'd have to take off his bike helmet, bike goggles, and bike shoes to better blend into the Japanese way-of-life, not to mention the scenery.

Brian said...

I think that was a dig at me...but I'm not sure.

Ez, if I can find one of the little blue Japanese traffic directors for sale I'll send you one. That may seem farfetched, except in Japan its a real possibility! I'm sure it will fit in really well at your house in New Mexico. Let me know if you need the other 20 or so signs that go along with the little blue man! You don't want people to miss your driveway and get lost do you?!

Congrats on the new dog D & D.

Ezra said...

Hey, I live in a real hood now. I can see other houses.