Thursday, August 30, 2007

Yamato Shrine Sale


It was long overdue, but I went to my first shrine sale in Japan this month. A few of my friends from Oakleaf and I ventured to the Yamato Shrine Sale, which occurs every 3rd Saturday of the month. It's about a 45-minute drive from Yokosuka near the Naval Air Facility Atsugi.

A shrine sale is essentially a flea market with many Japanese antiques mixed up with some good old Japanese junk. From pottery to kimono to furniture, you can find many pieces of history, if you know what you're looking for.

But even if you don't know what you're looking for--as is the case for me--you can manage to find something interesting. Like the itomaki, or antique Japanese silk reel bobbin, I bought for 1500 yen (about $12). They are traditionally used to spool kimono silk.


I'd be lying if I said I knew all this before I purchased this little four-cornered piece of wood. I happened to figure out its purpose (but not its Japanese name of course) by observation. See, I snapped a photo of an itomaki (bobbin) in place on this zakuri (Japanese silk reel).



I did, however, know what I would use it for...as a stand to prop up my blue and white ceramic sake/beverage dispenser so I can get a good-sized cup underneath the spigot! Some of that Japanese ingenuity is rubbing off on me.


So, why do they call it a shrine sale in Japan? I don't know. But I venture to guess they usually occur near a shrine. More importantly, have you ever pondered this: why do they call it a flea market in America?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

spigot is a funny word.